‘Test tube baby’ is a non-medical term for babies that are conceived using the artificial reproductive technique of in-vitro fertilization. Here, the eggs are fertilized outside the human body and then implanted in the uterus.
What is IVF?
IVF is a treatment for infertility. In this process, an egg is allowed to combine with a sperm outside the body. It includes advanced technology and precise equipment that enables and increases one chance of conceiving a healthy baby.
Why IVF is done?
IVF treatment is undertaken by infertile couples, people who have genetic issues, blocked fallopian tubes, or women who are in their late 40s and want to plan a family. IVF is a blessing to every couple who can’t conceive a child naturally.
Can I opt for IVF (test tube baby)?
In females, a test tube baby is usually opted to overcome infertility caused by the following reasons-
- defects of the Fallopian tube
- ovulation issues
- uterine fibroid
It can also be opted to overcome male infertility occurring due to a poor sperm count or poor sperm quality.
What is the Procedure of IVF (test tube baby)?
- The process of a test tube baby begins with injections of hormones similar to those produced in a woman’s body, for the suppression of the menstrual cycle.
- Next, the ovaries are stimulated using follicular stimulating hormone (FSH) to produce a larger number of eggs. These eggs are collected via a minor surgical procedure known as follicular aspiration.
- Once collected, these eggs are mixed with the male sperms in a petri dish and stored in a temperature-controlled environment to form an embryo. If sperm quality is compromised, then sperms can also be directly injected into the egg using special techniques.
- The fertilized egg is stored in a special growth medium for about 48 hours until it divides and becomes an embryo containing 6-8 cells. At the same time, the woman is given supplements of progesterone hormone to prepare the uterus lining for implantation of the embryo.
- The embryos that are identified as the best by an expert embryologist are then transferred into the uterus via a thin plastic catheter. Generally, more than one embryo is transferred to increase the chances of implantation. Sometimes spotting may occur due to implantation.
- A pregnancy test is conducted 2 weeks after the implantation to know if the treatment was successful. If the test turns out to be positive, you go through the pregnancy phase as a regular pregnancy.
However, if implantation does not occur, menses will occur. Once IVF is successful, the remaining embryo’s, if any, can be frozen for later use in life, can be donated to other infertile couples, or be destroyed.
What is the success rate of IVF (test tube baby)?
The success of your IVF treatment depends on various factors like the age at which it is performed, the place where it is done, the reason for infertility, etc. A skilled IVF specialist can really improve the chances of conceiving a baby in the first few cycles itself. Statistics have shown that a woman under the age of 35 years has a 39.6% chance of having a baby using IVF, while one over 40 years has an 11.5% chance. Furthermore, it is seen that the success rate of IVF is improving in every age group because of the advancement in technology and experienced doctors
With IVF, it is now possible to fulfill your dream of parenthood and have your own little bundle of joy. With high-end technology, and better planning
IVF Cost in India
The cost of IVF treatment is fairly less and affordable in Indian than other western countries. IVF cost amount is directly related to the number of times a couple undergoes the treatment procedures and techniques.
|IVF-ET (In vitro fertilization and embryo transfer)||Rs 90,000|
|Medicine cost of IVF||Rs 60,000-65,000|
|Total cost (per cycle)||Rs 1,50,000-1,55,000|
Complications in IVF
Women undergoing IVF treatment might undergo a series of complications based on the body system. Complications such as premature birth, babies with weight, multiples (chances of getting twins or triplet increases), miscarriage, or at times birth defects may arise when one experiences a pregnancy through IVF.
It must be remembered that all such complications are rare and your doctor, IVF specialist will take adequate steps and will make sure that you don’t face any of it.
Benefits of IVF
The prime motive and benefit of IVF is to conceive a pregnancy successfully and give birth to a healthy baby. There are more such benefits that IVF brings forth-
- Ability to choose healthy embryos
- Egg freezing
- Reducing the chances of miscarriage
- Can be used during a surrogacy
- Embryos can be screened for inherited diseases
- Giving hopes to infertile couples
- Donated eggs and sperms can be used
- Helps same-sex couples or single women
Que1. What should I eat during IVF treatment?
Ans. Follow a healthy diet plan and eat healthily. Add legumes, chickpeas, fruits and avoid processed food and other refined grains, red meat, etc.
Que2. How long does it take to get pregnant with IVF?
Ans. An IVF cycle usually takes 3 weeks but in some cases, the process might stretch further if the steps are separated and applied differently.
Que3. How do I prepare my body for IVF?
Ans. There are certain things and habits that you must add to your lifestyle so that you’re fit to undergo an IVF treatment. Try to improve sleep, reduce stress, in-take vitamin-rich food, quit smoking and drinking, exercise regularly and follow the instruction of your doctor.
Que4.What are the chances of getting pregnant with IVF?
Ans- There lays 20 to 35% per cycle success rate of getting pregnant with IVF
Que5. Why do people do IVF?
Ans- IVF is done by infertile couples, advance age woman, single woman, one who has damaged fallopian tubes etc
Que6.Is 37 too old for IVF?
Ans- Studies have found that after age 37 the success rate of getting an IVF starts to decline.
Que7. How many eggs does a woman have at 35?
Ans- At puberty a woman egg count reaches 1 million at 25 it may reach 300,000 and around 35 years of age it starts to decline gradually.
Que8. How many eggs are required for IVF?
Ans- For a successful IVF a woman should harvest 15 eggs.