‘Test tube baby’ is a non-medical term for babies that are conceived using the artificial reproductive technique of in-vitro fertilization. Here, the eggs are fertilized outside the human body and then implanted in the uterus.
Can I opt for IVF (test tube baby)?
In females, a test tube baby is usually opted to overcome infertility caused by the following reasons-
- defects of the fallopian tube
- ovulation issues
- uterine fibroids
It can also be opted to overcome male infertility occurring due to a poor sperm count or poor sperm quality.
What is the Procedure of IVF (test tube baby)?
- The process of a test tube baby begins with injections of hormones similar to those produced in a woman’s body, for the suppression of the menstrual cycle.
- Next, the ovaries are stimulated using follicular stimulating hormone (FSH) to produce a larger number of eggs. These eggs are collected via a minor surgical procedure known as follicular aspiration.
- Once collected, these eggs are mixed with the male sperms in a petri dish and stored in a temperature-controlled environment to form an embryo. If sperm quality is compromised, then sperms can also be directly injected into the egg using special techniques.
- The fertilized egg is stored in a special growth medium for about 48 hours until it divides and becomes an embryo containing 6-8 cells. At the same time, the woman is given supplements of progesterone hormone to prepare the uterus lining for implantation of the embryo.
- The embryos that are identified as the best by an expert embryologist are then transferred into the uterus via a thin plastic catheter. Generally, more than one embryo is transferred to increase the chances of implantation. Sometimes spotting may occur due to implantation.
- A pregnancy test is conducted 2 weeks after the implantation to know if the treatment was successful. If the test turns out to be positive, you go through the pregnancy phase as a regular pregnancy.
However, if implantation does not occur, menses will occur. Once IVF is successful, the remaining embryo’s, if any, can be frozen for later use in life, can be donated to other infertile couples, or be destroyed.
What is the success rate of IVF(test tube baby)?
The success of your IVF treatment depends on various factors like the age at which it is performed, the place where it is done, the reason for infertility, etc. A skilled IVF specialist can really improve the chances of conceiving a baby in the first few cycles itself. Statistics have shown that a woman under the age of 35 years has a 39.6% chance of having a baby using IVF, while one over 40 years has an 11.5% chance. Furthermore, it is seen that the success rate of IVF is improving in every age group because of the advancement in technology and experienced doctors
With IVF, it is now possible to fulfill your dream of parenthood and have your own little bundle of joy. With high-end technology, and better planning
- क्या आप गर्भवती हैं? प्रेग्नेंसी से जुड़ी आवश्यक जानकारी।
- क्या है फीमेल एग डोनेशन? (Female Egg Donation in Hindi)
- जानें! कैसे कराएं घुटनों का ऑपरेशन? (Knee Replacement-in Hindi)
- जल्दी घटाना है वजन! तो कराएं, बेरियाट्रिक सर्जरी (Bariatric Surgery-Hindi)
- स्ट्रेस लेना किन बीमारियों की वजह है? (Diseases caused by stress-in Hindi)