IVF, in vitro fertilization, is a procedure which requires precautions and preparations. Prepare your body, both physically and mentally for the procedure. However, there is no proven fertility diet but you can prepare your body to take the treatment properly and increase the chance of success. Remember, you are preparing to conceive, your health will affect the embryo too.
During an IVF treatment, you have to undergo few medical procedures and for that, a good health condition is required. Unhealthy physical condition, stress or some sort of deficiency might decrease the success rate of IVF. So, before the treatment, you should start following a healthy lifestyle habit. If there is any other medical problem, like pcos, thyroid, fibroids or any other medical issue, then it’s always advisable to consult the doctor.
A balanced diet is an important factor to maintain your health. Foods that you can include and exclude in your diet are given below.
WHAT TO EAT
You should have a complete diet plan containing proteins, minerals, fats, carbohydrate, vitamins etc. Every component is required in a specific amount for a good health so always try to take balanced diet. Here is a list of foods that you can add to your diet to stay healthy during your IVF Journey.
• FOODS RICH IN ZINC: Zinc deficiency can cause an imbalance of estrogen and progesterone levels. Woman’s body requires a certain amount of zinc to produce mature eggs. Zinc also maintains follicular fluid levels. In the early stage of pregnancy, deficiency of zinc might lead to miscarriage. Zinc deficiency in males causes the formation of immature sperm.
Foods rich in zinc are eggs, apricots, whole grains, dried fruit, sunflower seeds, pumpkin seeds, all vegetables, watermelon, beetroot, nuts, peas, beans etc.
• LOW CARBOHYDRATE FOODS: Carbohydrate is a rich source of energy for the body. There are two types of carbohydrates, Simple carbohydrate and complex carbohydrate. Simple carbohydrate includes white sugar, fruits etc. and complex include vegetables and whole grains. Complex carbs are good but you should avoid simple carbs except for fruits. Stay away from refined carbohydrates such as white flour, cakes, white bread, pasta etc. You should go for whole grain bread, brown rice, whole grain cereals etc.
• FOOD RICH IN FOLIC ACID: Folic acid plays an important role in the production of new cells and the creation of DNA. As a whole new body (fetus) is to be formed inside your body so, you must have the required amount of folic acid in your body and you should include folic acid containing foods in your meals. Food sources of folic acid are green beans, leafy vegetables, broccoli, green peas, salmon, asparagus, alfalfa sprouts, chickpeas, tomato, orange, strawberries, banana, grapes etc. Folic acid is such an important component that sometimes doctor prescribe it in supplement form. But natural is always good. Never go for any supplement without consultation of a doctor.
• PROTEINS: Body needs proteins to build and repair tissues. Hair and nails are mostly made of protein. Your body cannot store proteins, unlike carbohydrates and fats, there is no reservoir for protein in the body. So, you should add protein rich food in your diet. For e.g. eggs, pulses, beans, legumes, nuts, milk etc.
• ESSENTIAL FATTY ACIDS: Foods rich in essential fatty acids help in the growth and development of the fetus. Omega-3 fatty acids, ALA (alpha-linolenic acid) and DHA (docosahexaenoic acid) give better embryo morphology. Foods containing essential fatty acids are nuts, flax seeds or oil, chia seeds and oily fish (choose fish with lower mercury content).
• WATER: During the IVF Process, a lot of people are using lots of medicines and drugs and every drug comes with a side effect. You should drink plenty of water to remove toxins from your body and stay hydrated. Water helps in the metabolization of fat so, it will manage weight. Try to drink eight to ten glass of water a day. You can also take herbal tea or lemon water.
You should not rely only on porridge and just liquid diet, you can have whatever you want. Just try to avoid spicy and heavy foods because you should not suffer from any stomach problem during IVF. Everything is necessary for a good health but in an appropriate amount. Just stay away from a few things which are listed below.
FOODS TO AVOID
There are certain foods which you should avoid during IVF and pregnancy. Here is a list of foods and drinks that you consume in your daily life, but you should completely avoid having them during IVF treatment or pregnancy.
• ABORTIFACIENT FOOD: There are few natural abortifacients which you should avoid during IVF treatment or pregnancy. These are pineapple, papaya, sprouted potato, peach, animal liver, wild apple, and drumsticks. These foods should be avoided as some of these can cause contraction of the uterus leading to miscarriage and some contain chemicals like bromelain and solanin which may cause abortion. There are different kinds of seafood are high in mercury content and high mercury content can create developmental problems in fetus or can cause abortion. So you should avoid these foods during IVF.
• ALCOHOL AND CAFFEINE: Consumption of alcohol and caffeine can cause developmental delay in the fetus. Alcohol is diuretic and causes excretion of important nutrients like zinc and folic acid. During IVF you should completely avoid alcohol, excess coffee, smoking, and even aerated beverages and chocolates because these also contain caffeine.
• ARTIFICIAL SWEETENER: Artificial sweeteners are based on saccharine and it is known to reduce the success rate of IVF. Instead of using artificial sweeteners go for sucralose based sweetener or natural sweetening syrups.
A healthy and stress-free lifestyle will help you to increase the success rate. There are myths about this procedure, that one cannot walk or have a full meal when they are conceiving through IVF, but the fact is, you can take proper rest, a good sleep and should avoid heavy work and vigorous activities. You can pursue normal daily activities unless your doctor prescribes bed rest.
If you are considering an IVF, you should be ready to deal with a few failures too. We wish, you have a successful IVF but you can’t deny the fact that It’s not guaranteed that you will definitely conceive on your first session. It might take a few more sessions or some other treatment. Since it is an expensive procedure, you should be ready for the expenses. Letsmd helps you with the treatment expenses. We provide a loan at 0 % interest rate. For more details about cost and hospitals for IVF, you can log on to https://www.letsmd.com/ivf/cost-in-delhi-ncr or you can call 9205987553/2.
- क्या आप गर्भवती हैं? प्रेग्नेंसी से जुड़ी आवश्यक जानकारी।
- क्या है फीमेल एग डोनेशन? (Female Egg Donation in Hindi)
- जानें! कैसे कराएं घुटनों का ऑपरेशन? (Knee Replacement-in Hindi)
- जल्दी घटाना है वजन! तो कराएं, बेरियाट्रिक सर्जरी (Bariatric Surgery-Hindi)
- स्ट्रेस लेना किन बीमारियों की वजह है? (Diseases caused by stress-in Hindi)